Friday, October 06, 2006

NBA Europe?

Over the years I have heard whispers of European teams joining the NBA. My approach has always been to treat it like Sonic – America’s drive in. I don’t care if Sonic has a website (Fake) and numerous stupid commercials. Until I drive by a real live Sonic I refuse to believe the chain exists. I will not bend on this unless Sonic has a Jack in the Box style E. Coli outbreak. But back to Europe and the NBA. While it is by no means imminent, apparently it’s not as much of a stretch as one might think. Some points and questions that stood out from this article:

1. At no point does anyone question Vlade Divac’s credentials here. If I wanted tips on chain smoking, flopping, sweating, sick passing skills, getting traded for a superstar to be and some legitimate insight on playing in the NBA I would not hesitate to ask Vlade. However, I’m not sure he’s qualified to be a major player in the NBA's expansion to Europe. I know he was born in Europe…the eastern part. Interpret that however you deem fit.

2. The all-European division would be comprised up five teams from cities such as Madrid, London, Moscow, Berlin and Cologne. No word on how often North American based teams would travel there. My concern? So far we’ve escaped an international incident in the Olympics and the World Championships. I believe this is due to tighter security and the fact that we don’t send everyone. Ruben Patterson, Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson, Darius Miles, Eddie Griffin and Zach Randolph are on of a long list of NBA players with spotty pasts who coincidentally have not participated in international competition.

3. The conditions for a European contingent in the NBA:

- Five teams
- Five buildings
- Five ownership groups
- An excess of $400 million

4. Disney loses money on this continent. Keep that in mind.

5. David Stern is master of saying everything and nothing all at once: “There is absolutely no time frame. You tell me. At what point will there be five teams with five buildings with five ownership groups with something in excess of $400 million appearing on the scene? But it would be a great conversation to have and if we do have it, I would feel duty bound to report the offer to my owners.”

6. “The lack of suitable venues -- not travel or scheduling problems -- remains the biggest single obstacle to possible European development.” I find this hard to believe. I’ve been to Europe twice, albeit on a more cramped, uncomfortable flight than your typical NBA trip. Regardless, crossing the Atlantic will mess you up. You think playing in Denver’s altitude or in home/away series on back-to-back nights is hard?

7. Would Americans play on the European based teams? I assume yes. This has far more potential for chaos than Vancouver (Steve Francis), Toronto (Kenny Anderson), Minnesota (Stephon Marbury) and until recently Boston (black players in general) combined.

8. Hypothetically speaking, if Americans do play for European teams and Ruben Patterson gets traded to the Moscow franchise does he have to register as a sex offender?

9. In the next 10-15 years is there any chance of Las Vegas and Amsterdam becoming NBA cities?

Final Analysis: The best thing about his whole EuroLeague idea is that it is “unprecedented in the sporting world”. Of course there may be a reason for that. If I had to sum up my thoughts in two words I could: Bad decisions.

No comments: