Saturday, October 21, 2006

Parenting 101

Recognizing that I already linked to this in my last post and accepting the fact that I'm coming dangerously close to making this a Gilbert Arenas blog, I just had to highlight two portions of the Arenas blog. And in the process announce that he is my new favorite non-Celtics player unless Paul Shirley hangs on in Minnesota. And even then it will be close until Shirley mocks Mark Blount in some way. Then all bets are off.

"Since I was small my dad and I have always been friends. He was never really hard on me. He never really pushed me to basketball. It was like, 'Dad, can I play?' And he straight told me, 'You suck. You’re not good enough for this team! You can sit over there and be my assistant coach.' So I used to get teased all the day, and when he leave I used to go practice by myself. And then one day I had the opportunity to prove him wrong and I did...We just end up arguing about the dumbest things in the world. Like, after a game, and he thought I played bad, oh, I have to hear it. I’m gonna hear it. The first name he brings up every time: Dwyane Wade. 'Well, did you see what Dwyane Wade did tonight? Dwyane Wade has four dunks, three reverse lay-ups, if you was talented like him …' and I’m like 'Man!' And I’ll be like, 'Dad, are you going to come to any of the games?' He’s like, 'No. You guys are playing the Bobcats and the Grizzlies. I’m gonna come when Dwyane Wade comes to town or Kobe.' He just wants to see those players. He’ll look at the schedule and be like, 'Oh yeah, we got four good games. I got Dwyane Wade, I got Kobe, LeBron, A.I. coming to town … I’m coming.' Any other week, he never wants to come." - Gilbert Arenas

I love the fact that Arenas doesn't consider being told he sucks tough parenting.

No comments: