Monday, November 20, 2006

The negativity in this town?

I was reading John Hollinger's chat (could not get the link to work) over on ESPN.com when I came across the following:

John (Boston):
You are the worst "analyst/columnist" of all time. You don't know the slightest thing about the game, how do you still have a job?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Don't hold back. Tell me how you really feel.

Hollinger may actually be the most hated basketball columnist there is. And I was going to defend him until he applied his brand of rational thought to my favorite backup point guard:

Benny (Newton, MA): Rondo for ROY when all is said and done. Your thoughts?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Did he learn to shoot during my drive from home to the coffee shop? If not, forget it. Look, I love to watch him play as much as you do, and I understand why Gorman and Heinsohn get so geeked up about him, but the guy can't score, and until he can do at least a little of that he's a 10-15 minute guy.

How dare Hollinger speak realistically about Rondo? Although I did laugh when he off handedly called the eastern conference a "cesspool of mediocrity." Of course that is nowhere near as funny as his evaluation of Yao Ming heading into the season, "Most similar at age - Gheorghe Muresan." The same Yao Ming that Hollinger calls the best center in the NBA. Maybe I don't remember the Gheorghe Muresan era accurately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw Mureshan play at the Garden for the Bullets when I was a kid. He loped around and got hurt. It was pretty awesome.