Friday, December 08, 2006

Dave Cowens

I have to admit I was a little surprised by how much publicity Larry Bird’s 50th birthday received. By my count there were numerous articles, an NBA TV marathon, some well-done YouTube compilations, and the focus of the opening segment on TNT’s studio show prior to last night’s doubleheader*. It was all excellent and well deserved. And even though I was not old enough to understand or appreciate the Larry Bird era as it occurred, I know a great deal about him. He’s Larry freaking Bird. But it got me thinking about other Celtics. And when it comes down to it I just don’t know much about one Celtic in particular, Dave Cowens. I want to learn more about his taxi driving stints and unbelievable intensity. I’m assuming those two are related. Currently I’m trying to find the definitive Dave Cowens book. Meanwhile, I’m content to read articles about him. Red Auerbach loved Dave Cowens so his legacy is safe with me even after that WNBA stint. But it seems like he was a fan of an infamous trade:

"Changes in personnel also have helped, but so has Cowens' ability to handle them. On July 11, the Hornets gave Cowens a center by trading one No. 1 draft pick, guard Kobe Bryant (University of Kentucky guard Tony Delk was the other), to the Los Angeles Lakers for Vlade Divac. Three days later, they sent Johnson to the New York Knicks for enigmatic forward Anthony Mason."

* Speaking of last night’s double-header on TNT. You know the TNT executives were dying with the Pistons/Kings as the featured early game while Nets/Suns was going on. Generally you would feel good about playing at home on one day’s rest against a team playing the second of back-to-back games, especially if the first game went to double OT. Well that’s the scenario tonight and I don’t feel good about it.

No comments: