Tuesday, January 23, 2007

C's/Spurs - 1/23/07

“What, you can't take children when you're going to cheat on a horse race? You got some religion out there in the 'burbs?” - Chanice

“I came close. I had them in the car.” – Buck Russell

I put this exchange up for two reasons. I’ve been doing this for a while now and I haven’t referenced Uncle Buck once. That had to change. And more importantly, I was in the car contemplating driving 2 hours to scalp tickets for last night’s game. Granted I didn’t have children with me. But I was in the car. Why did I back down? Well the San Antonio Spurs were in town. It’s not that they own the Celtics. It’s that I was going to have to pay extra for my usual lousy seat. And then I was going to get all pissed off when the camera crew scanned the crowd for dancing morons, the crowd made the most noise as they clamored for t shirts and the Celtics dancers paraded on Red’s grave. Yeah I went negative.

Of course the C’s fell behind big, as is their custom. And they made a frenzied comeback, which is also part of the formula. But a funny thing happened last night. The C’s played with passion as usual, gave the Spurs all they could handle and the TD Banknorth Garden was rocking. How can a team that’s lost 15 of 17 be this damn exciting? Granted I’m concerned that I’ve somehow become content with mediocrity. But it’s not just me. It’s seems like a good majority of the people who faithfully follow this team feel the same way. The C's are exciting. And now on to a random list of statements:

1. I called this blog Celtics Bandwagon mainly because every other name I considered was too obscure. There was something about Chris Corchiani. I vaguely recall batting around some anti Rick Pitino sentiments. But now Celtics Bandwagon seems appropriate. Because it’s time to decide. Are you in or are you out? You don’t nescearrily have to read Celtics Bandwagon, although that would be cool. Just don’t wait for this team to put it all together. Enjoy the journey.

2. Ryan Gomes, Al Jefferson, Rajon Rondo, Delonte West and of course the injured Tony Allen seem to love playing basketball. That should go without saying. But it’s not always the case.

3. It can’t be a lot of fun being Sebastian Telfair right now. If Rondo or West hear Bassy mutter “get over here and take care of it” they should run for cover. That was too easy.

4. Speaking of Bassy. Everytime I catch Brandon Roy highlights I wonder what could have been. I know it’s more complicated than that. But I wonder.

5. At this point Gerald Green is the X factor. He’s still inconsistent and passive at times but carries a lot of potential. Will he reach it? With the Celtics?

6. The Hawks game on Wednesday is going to be crazy.

No comments: