Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Shawn Kemp?

Celtics Bandwagon is in danger of becoming completely devoted to Al Jefferson. That's the kind of stuff people do when their team loses 19 of 21 games. So I was reading John Hollinger's pre-season predictions for Al Jefferson. I won't link to it because you need Insider. I'll just quote my favorite part,

"Young big men who can score have a great track record of success, and despite Jefferson's sophomore slump, he's a 21-year-old hulk who can score. Sooner or later, that should translate into big-time production.

Most similar at age: Shawn Kemp"

- I think we're starting to see that big-time production.

- I realize the comparisons are based upon statistical analysis. But Shawn Kemp? I guess if you take away the vicious dunks and blocked shots the numbers are probably similar. I'm not even being sarcastic. 2 final Kemp related points:

1. Some say drugs and obesity derailed Kemp's career. However, I truly believe Kemp envisioned the NBA's crack down on taunting and realized that was a NBA that he did not want to be a part of.

2. Part of me wants Big Al to reenact Kemp's famous "Lister Blister" on Andrew Bynum. I'll even take the T if Jefferson throws in the finger pointing taunt. Alas, for all his skills I'm not sure Al has that kind of athleticism.

No comments: