Thursday, March 08, 2007

Clip #1 - Dr.Hoops

I played some pick up basketball tonight. At some point I have to put together a list of guys you come across in the world of pick up basketball. For now I'll settle for one - Dr. Hoops. You know this guy. He calls fouls all the time, reminds you about 3 seconds, tries to mess with the score when he thinks no one is paying attention, and so on. The important thing is that everybody, including his friends off the court, hates him. And Starter absolutely captured the essence of these guys to the point that they should all be called Dr. Hoops from now on. Finally, one question: Did you download those plays that I sent you?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you take an offensive foul and call it in a pick up game. I was told you couldn't but that is all I am good at.

Anonymous said...

At the YMCA in Lowell you can't do it

Jim said...

Generally you get away with a lot more in pick up basketball. But I'd say most people look down on taking chargers. Now if an offensive player is throwing elbows or really going out of his way to create an advantage it's a bit of a gray area. Depends on the court. I've never played pick up ball in New York because I can't, but I think you can get shot for calling an offensive foul.

Anonymous said...

Is that you Uncle Roger?
Love,
Aunt Mary

Anonymous said...

Lowell is in Massachusetts.

Jim said...

I know where Lowell is. I just don't think of it when I think of pick up basketball. Now if I wanted an STD or some hardcore drugs then I'd cruise right down 495 South.