Friday, October 27, 2006

ESPN Classic

I’ll be the first to admit that ESPN classic is hit or miss. Last week I caught parts of a Virginia/UNC football game from the Ronald Curry era. I say “parts” because I just could not get into the relatively unremarkable 20-17 final. However, all was forgiven when I caught part of a Bulls/Cavs game from March of 1988. I say “part” because I had to go to work. It was riveting for several reasons:

1. Michael Jordan was still in the phase where it looked like his younger brother was playing for him. It’s not quite the 1986 playoffs against the Celtics, which David Halberstam described so well. But it’s a far cry from the championship years.

2. Jordan made a reverse dunk, dribbled behind his back from his right hand to his right hand (far more remarkable if you see it) and converted a steal into a fast break lay up attempt which resulted in him converting his own miss. This all happened in a relatively short period of time.

3. Despite his brilliance Jordan looked painfully mortal at times. I often forget that as his career fades into history.

4. I was almost believed that Mark Price lent his uniform to Michael J. Fox for the game. Only Price’s basketball skills convinced me otherwise.

5. It actually looks like Charles Oakley let his younger brother play as well.

For the most part I think ESPN Classic knows what it is doing. It certainly is not the train wreck that SportCenter has become. That said “a classic” has to be one of two things. Either a bona fide ridiculous game like last Saturday’s Michigan State/Northwestern match up and to a lesser extent Notre Dame/UCLA. Or it has to have a marquee performer at his best such as Bo Jackson, Michael Jordan, Len Bias, Larry Bird, Mike Vick, Randy Moss, Doug Flutie, Tom Brady, you get the idea. After ten minutes of watching I should know why the game is on. That’s all I ask.

No comments: