Friday, October 20, 2006

The NBA and the Second Amendment

It’s official. The Sebastian Telfair robbery story has legs. Everyday there is a new twist. “Police investigating Telfair.” “Telfair a Victim.” “Telfair has a fiancée? What about the groupies?” Perhaps I made that last one up to lighten the mood. You can’t blame me. In less than a week it has reached T.O. status. I just don’t care. By all accounts Telfair was in the wrong place at the wrong time with a substantial investment around his neck. Unfortunately someone else, a rapper no less, got shot in the vicinity a few hours later. That coupled with Telfair’s previous gun toting misstep has led to a slew of articles on NBA players with guns. Whether it’s Zach Randolph street racing in downtown Portland, Lonny Baxter hanging out near the White House, or Stephen Jackson and friends at their favorite Gentlemen’s Club, various NBA players carry guns. I get it. So thank you Mark Murphy for shedding some light on guns in the NBA while the Boston Herald provided the sweet picture to the right. Once again I am reminded of the documentary Scared Straight!: “It’s not paranoia when it’s real!” The highlight:

“I’ve been followed in my car before - a few times - coming home from the game. I’ve re-routed how I go, and they still followed me. Sometimes when I get home it’s three or four in the morning. I’m scared of going in the house. I’m out there in the woods, and it’s pitch black.” – Paul Pierce

It’s easy to portray the NBA in a negative light. Often times players bring it on themselves. But as Delonte West rightly points out, “People know who you are, and who you know. You’re an NBA player, and that can bring things out in people.” At the end of the day I could live off of their meal money so I’m not starting a pity parade. But it’s something to think about as we wait the day when an NBA player’s posse member kills another NBA player.

No comments: