Tuesday, November 14, 2006

C's/Magic - 11/13/06

Celtics Notes

The Celtics are 1-6 and if you told me they were going to finish up 10-72 I would say, “Sounds reasonable.” They are that bad in the fourth quarter of games. At the same time I really enjoyed last night’s game. Therein lies a huge issue with the Celtics franchise. As someone who is not old enough to remember the glory days I am content with slow, painful progress. And that’s if you believe there is progress. That is probably the strongest indication of a culture of losing and a sobering look at the state of the Boston Celtics. How the mighty have fallen. Meanwhile it’s becoming apparent that the C’s struggle with pick and rolls, have mental lapses on defense, turn the ball over too much and seemingly find ways to lose. Instead of exhausting those issues let’s take a look at the roster again.

Tony Allen – I’m still pretty sure he could be a good defensive role player on a winning team provided the coach instituted Tommy’s 2-dribble rule.

Ryan Gomes – There was an episode of Seinfeld where Elaine was torn between the old gang (Jerry, George, and Kramer) and a bizarro crew (Kevin, Gene, and Feldman). The bizarro crew was a much nicer, more optimistic group of people. For example Feldman buys groceries for Kevin instead of just mooching off him. Gene picks up the check at their coffee shop. Kevin gets along with his Fed-Ex guy, Vargus. You get the point. Long story short there is a scene where Elaine is caught between both groups. She decides to turn her back on Jerry and company, which leads to the following exchange:

“Can I come?” - George

“I'm, I'm sorry…We've already got a George.” – Elaine

While the whole bizarro analogy does not hold true I wonder if Gomes ever looks at Leon Powe and thinks, “We’ve already got a Powe.”

Gerald Green – The kid is still a ways away. The Cavs game, which I don’t usually talk about, was the perfect example of that. At times I think he’s turning the corner. However, the mental lapses (dribbling around without a real purpose, draining the shot clock in the process) are still there.

Al Jefferson – He really needs a streak of good luck. I’m terrified of the proverbial light going on somewhere else.

Michael Olowokandi – He’s a great example of why it is important to separate perception from reality. It’s safe to say the Clippers regret drafting him #1 overall and the Timberwolves gave him too much money. With those memories in mind I was not pleased to hear he was in camp. However, he is valuable to the C’s if his head is in the right place. The reasonable salary helps too.

Kendrick Perkins – Granted Perkins is only 22, showed some promise last night, and people almost unanimously like his game. But he only has 5 double doubles for his career. He has never averaged 12 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 blocks (Kandi man – Clippers 02/03). Good old perception and reality.

Paul Pierce – Following the opening night loss I compared Celtics players to Nintendo characters. Pierce gave me the most trouble. I desperately wanted him to be Mario but feared that he was still a step below the elite. Since then Pierce has put up impressive stats. At the same time he’s had some backbreaking turnovers and ill-advised shots. On top of that LeBron willed the Cavs to victory last week. So The Truth is still no Mario. And as we move forward you could make the argument that Pierce’s game and attitude will be the most fascinating sub plot of the season. That’s saying something given the coaching hot seat and the development of the young guys.

Leon Powe – It’s hard not to like what Leon did last night. It will be interesting to see what kind of minutes he gets as we move forward.

Theo Ratliff – Great defense, injury prone. Interestingly I read somewhere (it escapes me, I apologize) about Danny’s penchant for obtaining injury concerns via trades. With Raef (knees), Wally (knee) and Ratliff (back) it’s a pretty good point.

Allan Ray – Dangerously close to having his name changed to DNP. At this point there is not much new to evaluate and I don’t see the situation changing anytime soon.

Rajon Rondo –

“Rajon Rondo, point guard.” – Rondo
“Sebastian Telfair, starting point guard.” – Telfair
“I know that’s why they drafted me.” – Rondo

Wally Szczerbiak – He’s a solid #2 scoring option and I’ve dropped my preconceived negative view of him. So he’s got that going for him, which is nice. Also in last night’s game Wally made one of the most out of control hustle plays I have ever seen. Ultimately it worked out for the C’s. But it did have the potential to be a great, “White guys playing basketball…IT’S FANNNNTAAASSSSSTIC” moment. In case you were wondering.

Sebastian Telfair – I have to admit that he had some ridiculous scoring drives last night. And for the first time I felt like he was trying to create shots for others, which is what a point guard should do. Overall I have no idea how the Sebastian Telfair era will work out. And by the way if you didn’t pick up on The Program reference under the Rajon section then I am disappointed. Severely disappointed.

Delonte West – He’s starting to hit shots, make things happen and put forth a strong case that he deserves a good deal of playing time.

Overall I’m still not sure where the team is going as far as minutes and roles. And it is disheartening that Doc doesn’t know either. I would love to see the coaching staff put players in positions where they can help the team win. Furthermore, I’d like the C’s to start taking away what other teams do well. Those are two hallmarks of good coaching. That said I’m far from seeking out the Tobin Bridge. That is due in part to living in New Hampshire but mainly I’m just along for the ride. And you have to admit it’s been interesting.

Magic Notes

Who knows if Grant Hill will stay healthy? The odds and Tommy Heinsohn assume that he won’t. But I still enjoy watching him. And let’s not forget how good he was in Detroit.

Donny Marshall argued that Dwight Howard did not become one of the best young players in the league until he filled out this year. Yes his post game is limited. And his foul shooting is bad. But he’s awesome. And he has been one of the best young players in the NBA since he was a rookie. Not many guys can do this. Amen.

It would take me two minutes to agree to deal in which I traded Steve Francis for Penny Hardaway (already off the books) and Trevor Ariza. And it’s only that long because I would be shocked that it was on the table.

Jameer Nelson, or Jamar as Cousy called him, was cold blooded at times last night. Pound for pound he might be more jacked than Howard.

No comments: