Tuesday, December 05, 2006

C's/Bulls - 12/04/06

Last night was one of those games where the final score (100-82) did not tell the whole story. It was actually much, much worse.

Celtics Notes

- Did Tony Allen earn 28 minutes of playing time because of Wally Szczerbiak’s injury, his decent showing against Toronto, his Chicago roots, or a combination of all three? Whatever the reason I don’t think they should be running the Tony Allen And1 offense on a consistent basis. And believe me his final stat line (20 points
on 5-8 from the field, 10-13 from the line, 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block, 1 steal and one turnover) was not as good as it appears. He had two of the ugliest shots I have ever seen. On top of that he does mind numbing things at times that the box score does not capture. Although he gets bonus points for throwing it down, kicking a Bull in the process and somehow getting to line. Finally was Allen’s performance against the Raptors last Friday more impressive than Gerald Green’s showing?

- I still need to reevaluate my opinion of Brian Scalabrine. That means I have to sit down and really look at each possession he plays over a number of games. For Scalabrine's sake I’ll exclude last night’s game. Outside of repeatedly yelling, “Yes sensei” after he cross body blocked Kirk Hinrich, I did not enjoy Scalabrine’s contributions last night.

- Ryan Gomes puts up 19 points despite not really being a part of the offense. And I’m
fine with that. But if there is no other offense…

- How can they can get embarrassed like that after 2 off days?


Bulls Notes

-
It’s always important to watch a guy play when you are considering adding him to a fantasy team. Think about that when you see Chris Duhon on the waiver wire or someone tries to unload Ben Wallace. Speaking of Wallace, am I the last person to notice that the Bulls might regret signing him?

- After watching the Bulls I had to find the clip of Raptors’ GM Bryan Colangelo talking about Chicago’s length (I saw it on True Hoop first).

- A few weeks back Charles Barkley weighed in on the Chicago Bulls, “To me they’re like a baseball team that has a great five starters but can’t hit. Until they find some consistent scoring from three or four guys they’re not going to win. Cause they’re theory like just cause we got they were a great defensive team and they bring in Ben Wallace we’re a better defensive team. It don’t matter if they can’t score. They’re like the Atlanta Braves to me when they had all those great pitching staffs but they couldn’t score. You can’t assume we’re going to shut everyone out.”

Meanwhile Tommy Heinsohn and Mike Gorman gushed about Luol Deng and Andres Nocioni’s shooting ability. They loved Hinrich. And Ben Gordon is a solid, albeit inconsistent scorer. After watching the game I’ve decided the Bulls are an excellent offensive team when an opponent does not play defense.

- You can see why the Bulls would be reluctant to move Deng.


Basketball Notes


- I caught some of the Washington/Dallas 4th quarter. Congratulations to the Wizards for ending the Mavericks’ 12 game win streak despite not running any semblance of an offense. It’s been said elsewhere but Gilbert Arenas does not look like a fun guy to play with. That’s not easy for me to admit.

- According to SI.com there have only been 6 NBA players to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated as Sportsman of the year: Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Michael Jordan, David Robinson/Tim Duncan, and now Dwayne Wade. I like Wade but I think his winning the award says a lot about the field.

- I immediately thought "Nocioni" when I read the following: “Andres Nocioni vs. Udonis Haslem: Which gritty power forward has the advantage?” But then I read the post and at the very least it is closer than I thought.

- After reading Sole Influence I was shocked to learn that Brandon Rush, of the famed Rushes (Kareem and Jaron), plays for Kansas. Let’s just say that Brandon’s older brothers hold their own in the realm of shady AAU teams and college recruitment and that Kansas was prominently involved. As a side note I will put up my Last Shot book review tomorrow.

No comments: