Tuesday, January 16, 2007

C's/Hawks - 1/15/07

- The Celtics seem to have developed a new formula where they fall behind by double digits, battle back, make some exciting plays, keep it close and ultimately lose. Furthermore, since they don't seem to be intentionally tanking and there is growth (Al Jefferson - 18 points, 17 boards) it is hard to be too disappointed. Some observations:

- Outside of Gerald Green, the C's seemed sluggish early on.

- Doc Rivers could be one of the greatest salesman ever. I can imagine Danny Ainge calling Doc in with every intention of firing him and Rivers somehow stays on as coach...with a raise. He's that mesmerizing.

- One more point on Doc. He has occasional bouts with passive aggressiveness when he talks. I can't think of one of the top of my head but I'll try to provide more details in the coming days.

- The Celtics are what they are. Accepting that and moving on is the only way to continue watching them. At some point, and it's probably next season, I won't be satisfied with exciting. The opportunities the young guys are getting right now have to lead to something.

- "It seems like the Hawks are 29th in everything." - Bob Cousy.

- There are not a lot of players out there who remind me of Josh Smith. According to Mike Gorman he's a legit 6'9. That combined with his terrific athletic ability and dominant left hand make Smith unique. Granted he had 8 turnovers. That's terrible no matter how you look at it. But he also blocked 7 shots and had 5 steals. And an offensive player always has to be concerned about him. For example it's one thing if Shelden Williams is chasing a player on the break. And it's another thing if Josh Smith is. Let's just say if Williams is on a player's tail there is time to slow down and do a windmill, even if Bob Cousy does not like it. There are countless examples on YouTube of Smith going out of his way to block shots/dunks such as this one. Long story short I really want to see Josh Smith live.

- It seems like everybody has criticized the Hawks for passing on Chris Paul for Marvin Williams. So there is nothing new to add. But I will say this. In watching the Hawks it becomes apparent how much of a blunder that was. Just thinking about what Paul could do for Smith and Joe Johnson would infuriate me if I was a Hawks fan. And based upon all the fans disguised as empty seats at yesterday's game, I'd say Hawks fans tend to agree.

- Speaking of Johnson. He does not look right. His calf injury may be a nagging issue.

- I would have loved to see Rajon Rondo and Smith play together at Oakwood Academy.

Random NBA thoughts:

- After watching Robert Horry dunk on Andres Nocioni last night it occurred to me that Nocioni is a dark horse for "guy who gets dunked on a ton" status.

- In last night's Suns/Grizzlies game it was 76-72...at the half.

- Gilbert Arenas hit another game winner yesterday. It was shades of Larry Bird's, "I only need a 2 but screw it I'll hit a 3 because I'm that good."

No comments: