Saturday, February 17, 2007

I Love the Dunk Contest

I’m tired people criticizing the Dunk Contest. Yes it’s unfortunate that technology did not advance fast enough for us to freeze Dominque Wilkins and Michael Jordan from the mid 80s and trot them out every year. However, have the dunk contests really been that bad? Let’s take a look at the often criticized 2000s:

2000 – Vince Carter. He's considered one of the greatest dunkers of all time. The evidence? Exhibit A.

2001 – Danny Ainge was one of the judges. That’s almost entertaining enough in and of itself. Personally I could watch Baron Davis dunk all day. But I understand that people don’t love this edition. This is where I have to use the old dunk contests are like pizza and sex argument. Even when they’re bad…

2002 – If you’re going to say something bad about Jason Richardson and his dunking prowess get the hell out of here. No really. This video is one of my favorite YouTube clips of all time because:

- Richardson is awesome.

- Desmond Mason is a worthy adversary

- The brief Gilbert Arenas dance at the 4:04 mark.

- The music is catchy.

- Gerald Wallace doesn’t quite belong and gets way too much time in the clip. It’s funny to me. Speaking of Wallace. He’s doing some great things in fantasy basketball right now.

- Richardson’s last dunk is epic.

2003 – The Jason Richardson rule from 2002 still applies. Let’s go to the video.

- I told you Mason was a worthy adversary.

- Can anyone else besides Jordan pull off the beret? I don’t even think Boris Diaw, Johan Petro, or Michael Pietrus can. And they’re French! Maybe Tony Parker.

- Richardson pulls out a ridiculous dunk to win after most people thought Mason had it in the bag.

2004 – Watch out for the language in this one. You don’t know me like that!

- I respect Richardson for going for a 3 peat.

- 2 words: Birdman, Fly.

- Fred Jones has a pretty legit dunk, which they freeze frame the hell out of in this clip. People don’t care about Jones because he’s not a name. But he has to be bringing something to knock off Richardson.

2005 – Josh Smith. Enough said.

2006 – I don’t care what Nate Robinson did. I have never seen anything like this.

2007 – LeBron says dunk contests are bourgeois. Vince and Kobe are retired. Who cares? Gerald Green is going to bring it.

Some final thoughts and questions:

- Gerald Green is a deceptive 6 foot 8. He doesn’t get marked down for his height as some guys do and is very smooth. You don’t need a name to be a great dunker.

- Tony Allen famously got hurt on a dunk. But has anyone ever gotten hurt in a dunk contest. It’s like when I say that I’ll do the grocery shopping because I like the ride and I have an innate understanding of ripe fruit. Everyone knows I’m just going because I love buying the chocolate chip cookies with the ice cream inside. If you don’t want to dunk just say it.

- I always thought Dee Brown’s Reebok routine was contrived and over the top. Sorry Dee. I hope Gerald doesn't fall into that trap.

No comments: