Thursday, November 09, 2006

No love for McHale?

You can mock Kevin’s McHale’s dress code and skills as a GM, or lack thereof, as much as you want. I’m not offended. However, let’s not forget his playing career. Tonight on the TNT halftime show Charles Barkley went as far to say, “Kevin McHale is the best player I ever played against.” This of course got me all fired up and I went to YouTube to watch some sick McHale pivots. I could watch #32 in the post all day. Unfortunately the search “Kevin McHale” yielded only 4 clips. There was a crappy highlight compilation of various players, a certain hook shot from 1987 that I refuse to post, and 10 seconds of the man himself. And then this happened. A few basic points:

1. We need this to spread like herpes (I’m tired of the wildfire analogy) so that we get a new catch phrase, “I gotta party and stuff.”

2. The kid who utters the party line looks at his wrist to check the time. The video quality is such that it’s hard to tell, but I do not believe that he is wearing a watch.

3. Robert Bickerstaff (McHale) wears a shirt with #55 on the back and #15 on the front. As I noted earlier, McHale wore #32.

4. Every time Bickerstaff shoots they cut to a ball going in the basket without showing how it got there. That’s understandable. But I’m not sure how I feel about a few of the shots where the ball entered the basket from an angle that was drastically different from where he shot it.

5. I enjoyed the fake dunk.

Overall this clip borders on the surreal. It has some cult potential. It also could be a cautionary tale that would be effective as the centerpiece of interventions. And yes this is not the first time I have posted the McHale/Rambis picture. Nor is it the last time.

No comments: